HACCP is an important element in the control of safety and quality in food production. When properly applied, it provides a management tool aimed at complete commitment to product quality and safety. HACCP is useful in identifying problems in food production and works well for simple products and processes. The inevitable drawback for the SME food producer is that considerable resources and expertise may be required to carry out hazard analysis on novel or complex products. However, there are many guideline documents and PC-based software now available to guide the user through the essential steps.
The 7 principles of HACCP, with a brief indication of necessary action are:
- Identify the potential hazards – list all hazards associated with each process step – list measures which will eliminate or reduce hazards
- Determine the critical control points (CCPs) for identified hazards – determine the CCP (a step at which control can be applied and is essential to eliminate the hazard).
- Establish the target levels/tolerances for controlling the CCPs – establish a predetermined value for control which has been shown to eliminate hazards at a CCP.
- Establish/implement monitoring systems for controlling CCPs – e.g. set out a planned sequence of observations or measurements to assess the degree of control on identified CCPs.
- Identify corrective actions when a deviation occurs at a CCP – identify a predetermined action for when the CCP indicates a loss of control.
- Verify that the HACCP system is working – establish and apply methods to ensure that the HACCP system is working, including documentary evidence, e.g. auditing, end product testing, process validation.
- Establish a documentation system for procedures and records – develop and maintain procedures and practices for record keeping.
PIMM™ SMS has a built-in Food Safety Inspections and Quality Control System that simplifies data collection, scoring and reporting for daily HACCP inspections as well as weekly, monthly food safety and quality assurance processes for each restaurant facility.
The system operates on both MS Windows and Apple iOS platforms. The Apple iPad mini is the perfect mobile platform for the warehouse manager – size, shape, design, durability, reliability and functionality.
To learn more about this and other PIMM™ Products, please visit us at www.Procuro.com or call TOLL FREE today 1-888-571-PIMM (1-888-571-7466)!